Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dyckia or Cryptanthus




seems my little collection is growing by the day. i managed to convince a coworker and co-succulent obsessionist to buy a lovely little overloaded potted Succulent Jungle (in case you haven't noticed, i'm very persuasive) so that i could have this sweet little pink and green star-shaped plant. well, she wanted one of the plants and i agreed to trade her a cutting of the aloe-gastera-worthia-whatever-that nobody can identify from my last post, so it wasn't just for me. i'm not completely evil for goodness sake. (thanks again, Val) i originally thought it was a dyckia but of course, as has become the premise of this blog, i can't find a match. the closest i've come is another wondrous species called a cryptanthus whose varieties seem to go on for hundreds. maybe i should consider renaming the blog 'Desperately Seeking Succulents' or 'Unnamed Oddities'. perhaps making a game of it. yea. yea. that's the ticket. either way, i end this post with my constant companion signoff, "Somebody Help!"

update: my fabu friends Val, Julie and Rosemarie were all over this before i got it posted good. seems what we have here is sometimes referred to as an Earth Star. its proper name is Cryptanthus bivittatus 'Pink Starlite'. an updated photo of her in her new habitat. isn't she lovely?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacy, You've got it! That one is a Cryptanthus! I had one a few yrs ago & killed it. It looked similar. The tentative name I gave it was 'Pink Starlight'. Google that one & see what you think! I laughed at your "DSS" title for blog! Hee hee! :D Off to look at other posts of yours.

Julie said...

You are hilarious! I am enjoying all your little I.D. challenges! I own a cryptanthus, also known as "Earth Stars"...see my plant list on sidebar. There are many different varieties...must research to see which one. I'll be back.

Julie said...

Why not join the Cryptanthus Society, and learn all about them! I may join too, since I love them so much and want to buy more! I have a red one that is so beautiful, just like yours!

Julie said...

Check out this wonderful
PICTURE GALLERY, great for i.d. purposes!

The Succulent Dish said...

you guys are the absolute BEST. both of you had this id'd before i got it posted good. this is fun. rosemarie, i'm seriously thinking of renaming the blog to "DSS". it couldn't hurt since i'm so new here.