Friday, August 8, 2008

Questionable Echeveria




it's time once again for the Desperately Seeking Succulents Game!!! i found this little baby rotting in a puddle at home depot earlier this week. i'm not sure what hd's ambivalence is toward succulent plants, really. i had walked around the place twice and figured they just didn't have any new or old ones since the last time they had any there were so few plants and they were leggy and rotting, none of the help even knew what a succulent plant was and they were just generally being neglected altogether. but something said to go around this particular display and low and behold, there they were hidden INSIDE where no light could get to them and no one could even see the display!! O, the humanity! i was just furious at them for hiding all these curious wonders. whatever happened to impulse sales HD?! they were absolutely ensuring that almost every single one of these babies who were just begging to be adopted would perish. i was looking for the nearest orange vest to give it a piece of my mind when i was distracted (lucky for the orange vests) by the whimpering of the whole lot of tiny grafted cacti and pot after pot of haworthia that were simply withering away and dying. i felt so badly that i couldn't gather each and every one of them and bring them home with me to nurse back to health. then, amongst the all the other poor leggy unnamed ech's, hiding quietly was this sweet little thing. once again, since i am still very new to this game, i had not seen one before. it's under two inches all and about two across. she has VERY thick, spade-shaped leaves with thin stiff points. her color goes from almost white in the very center to dark green, blue, purple on her leaf tips. so now we begin the game. whomever guesses whatever it is, gets a giant shout out right here on Desperately Seeking Succulents. good luck, everyone.
UPDATE: seems we have a winner. one of our newest contestants submitted the name for our newfound lovely--Echeveria Purpusorum! BIG SHOUT OUT TO KATE715 for gettin' er done so fast. Thanks, Kate. Hope you play again soon. Thanks to everybody for playing Desperately Seeking Succulents with me and for all the compliments on my finds and my very, very cheap flea market pots! Val, Julie, Rosemarie and now Kate--you are THE best.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I understand. Are you looking for an ID, or do you already know what the plant is, and want us to guess?

I do know what your plant is, but I'll wait to say until you answer.

The Succulent Dish said...

Yes. I'm definitely looking for help because I can't find a name for it.

Anonymous said...

There was one other of these absolutely GORGEOUS succulents at the HD (Ok I had to go at lunch time), but it was all rotten except on the very top - I even pulled it up out of its pot and the soil was covered with mold. IDIOTS! DAGNAMIT AND BOOHOO ALTOGETHER!

Anonymous said...

Oh, okay. It is an Echeveria purpusorum. They are very nice easy, plants. They don't get leggy easily in lower light, like some other Echeverias do. The really light areas in your plant are a result of HDs keeping it in the dark. In a sunnier situation the color will deepen.

I'm enjoying your blog. I followed your link when you posted over at Mr. Subjunctive's PATSP.

Julie said...

LOL...it sure is pretty...but I dont have a clue. Amazing you found anything that gorgeous at HD!!! BTW...thanks for saving it!

Anonymous said...

I'll 2nd Karen715's ID on E. purpusorum. I think I know her from one of the forums--but which?

Nice save, Stacy! It's not your typical look for that species. Looks great in that pot! :)