Thursday, August 28, 2008






victory. a small one, however, victory nonetheless. since home depot sent me that $20 card without even reading my complaint i decided to exact a little justice of my own. deciding that i just could not allow all the cries go unheard from the succulents hidden under shelves where no light could warm and feed them. this particular shipment had been there almost 3 weeks because i had been in twice a week to look at them and they were drowning each time i saw them. leaves were dropping; horrible odors of mildew and rot were emanating from the majority; and at this visit the dirt had turned to brick and separted from their plastic cups. i asked three different people for help with the succulents. the third guy yukked that they looked healthy to him but he didn't really know anything about them and the garden person would be in tomorrow and had one foot in front of the other walking away. then can i speak to the manager, i asked. a barely contained look of surprise emanated from his awkward but youthfully handsome face. you mean the assistant manager, he inquired. whomever. well, i'm the garden manager and i'll go ahead and give you 50% off. all of them, i hoped carefully as if i honestly didn't care. oh, yes, yes. i'll walk you up front if you're ready. of course, lead the way. he began to hm, haw, "do you have any other shopping to do?" i could see that he was going to try to disappear before i got to the register leaving me appearing to be some mad plant lady so "no, thank you." was my response.
when we got to the register, he announced to the girl that she should take half off all the plants. she looked at him in dumb amazement like she had no idea what he was saying. she asked him if it was true and he responded positively. as i unloaded my cart of eight happily sighing baby plants a tiny blond girl asked "oh, are those venus flytraps?" i know with whom i deal here at Home Depot so it was just too easy to say something that would put on display the obvious lack of knowledge the staff possess. "no, just succulents" was my response of decorum. a lady lounging on the next register began to question him. "who are you. what's your position? what's your name, rank, serial number? just want to be sure you had authorization to do that?" i turned to her and asked "why is that?" she began to explain that she wasn't from this store and just as she opened her mouth to explain i turned my back. i assume she got the picture. it was inappropriate for her to question him in front of a customer, firstly. secondly, it was plain rude to embarass him in front of coworkers and customers. i don't know if she was smart enough to get it or not--and i don't care, truthfully. she must have understood because she took over and carefully boxed up my little lovlies. i thanked them and very slowly and very deliberately began my walk from the store. there were strange looks from some who had heard parts of the exchange. i held my head just a little higher. take that home depot. i took my free plants and went home.

11 comments:

Xole Karman said...

Oh, what a saint you are! Congrats on your lovely saved babies, now in a good home at last!

Julie said...

I had a sortof opposite thing happen at my Home Depot the other day! They had gotten a new shipment, and some better than usual plants. I had sat down just inside the cold inside part of the store, but I could see the succulents from where I was sitting...and there were so many people coming up and practically filling their carts with them! I thought I had best hurry up and go check them out since there seemed to be so much interest.....this particular store takes better care than my Walmart, which is a dismal failure at succulent care...the worst in the country if you ask me! Glad you were able to pull off a half off (at least) sale! I have started picking up leaves that have fallen off the plants and putting in my pocket to plant at home. It is how I justify at least starting a new plant from the ones that may die in the store!

Aiyana said...

This treatment of cacti and succulents is so common in the big box stores. It really bugs me to see trays of cacti with pots standing in water, or on racks in the dark for weeks. I've also talked to the store people about this issue, and they say they throw out over half of their plants every month. No one seems to care. One time I asked if I could just come down on the days they throw and plants away, and I would haul them off. The manager told me that was against the rules, the plants had to go in the dumpster. Now, if I was a dumpster diver, I'd have quite a collection!
Good for you for speaking up!
Aiyana

The Succulent Dish said...

hm. dumpster diving. never thought of that. and quite frankly, i'm not above it. have to find out when they pitch everything. i'm with you, tho. i can't believe that they don't care about the plants. for cricket's sake, they could give them away to shelters or whatever and write it off that way. seriously. how UN-green can you be?? i wonder if the american cactus and succulent society has a position on this or has dealt with this in any manner. what if we mounted a campaign? (that slipped out) but what do you think?

Anonymous said...

I myself have seen this happen in Walmarts, Lowes etc. None of the plants be they succulents or tropicals are really taken care of.
I often feel badly for some of them and just take them home with me and attempt to nurse them back to health. Some come back others I lose. If stores are going to sell these kinds of things at least have someone be a little bit knowledgeable about them.
I would stick to just going to greenhouses and nurseries or buying from a reputable source, but up here in Canada those places are far and few between and it is very hard to get plants into Canada without a lot of hassle.
Take care
W W

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

I've done the same thing at stores, although not as lucky as you (I haven't written any complaints but I will keep it in mind!). I found some super cheap cacti at Wal-Mart one day (like 50 cents each due to their poor health) and bought up some of them. They're doing great now. And then there's my experience at Lowe's, which is similar to you and Home Depot. I've saved quite a bit, including buying an aloe plant on super sale due to its poor health (the container alone would have cost me more than twice as much as the final price). It's good to know others are in love with succulents as much as I am!

The Succulent Dish said...

i agree wholeheartedly with you that lowe's is just as deadly to our lovely succulent friends as home depot and they readily gave me 75% off for a few plants which have thrived since getting them home. but the ones from home depot are so far gone that i've lost one and it feels like i may lose at least one more. they should at least hand an employee a book on them, ya know. and to WW, all home depot's plants come from Canada!! i say we all complain to all these big box stores protesting their treatment of the poor plants. throwing them in the dumpster is thoroughly UN-GREEN! Everybody got their Che Guevara shirts?!

Julie said...

To answer your question: Get a glass and ceramic drill bit at Ace Hardware! I drill right through glass and lovely pots you find at the thrift stores! I just turn them upside down on top of a towel (outside the house), and drill straight in....it is amazing!

Anonymous said...

What a cool post, so excellently written.

I like the description of how you were walking out.

The Succulent Dish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Succulent Dish said...

shout out to Mr. Brown Thumb for the compliments. it means so much coming from a Master!!