Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pachy-Something?


hello, all!! let me just say "WooHoo" for me. i have FINALLY gotten everything going in the same direction. i know it should not have been such a challenge but those of us who are still less than agile with the compatibility of current technologies do exist--so a celebration is most certainly in order. who knew how hard that would be?

anyway. i've got some photos of my new babies which will be posted to the slide show poste haste. in the meantime, however, i'd love for all of you to take a look at one of my little sweeties in particular. it was in what i call a "Junk Pot"--a pot with several plants in it, all completely unlabeled. i have since been able to name two of the four items in the pot--Crassula Schmidtii and Sedum Burrito--but the one that captured my attention was the most intriguing oddity i have yet to encounter. it has leaves that resemble arms ending in fingers pointing out in every direction; it has pale, green, bumpy skin and is thoroughly magnificent--especially since it has now bloomed a beautiful yellow, astrid-like flower. i have searched and searched through photos but since i have only a couple of less than complete reference books, it has been a difficult challenge. so, i am so glad that i have friends and neighbors who share my obsession who can help. please.

shout out to Family Tree Nursery in Kansas City. they fulfill all my Succulent Fantasies.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I believe you may have a Rhombophyllum neelii, or Elk's Horn here. Here is a good pic and description of it: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.plantoftheweek.org/image/rhombophyllum.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week420.shtml&h=483&w=644&sz=44&hl=en&start=1&sig2=tG0al5te6RWp0CpP3uVvfg&um=1&tbnid=_JZ2ov-rf_0LYM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&ei=Hc56SK25MKioed3ZjFc&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drhombophyllum%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26sa%3DN

Julie said...

See what Rosemarie has to say about it when she comes around! She is a walking textbook on succulents (sorry Rosemarie...it is true, you are SOOO knowledgable)! Did you see the tables of sux that she has??? She just has a brain that is able to soak up all of this information with such accuracy! My brain is not like hers! LOL. Must be all that California sunshine she gets!I cannot find anything else that even remotely looks like this plant other than the one I sent you! Good luck!

The Succulent Dish said...

i knew i could count on you to get the ball rolling, Julie. you're the best. i took a look at the photo you sent and it looks like it just might be it or some variation. i am hoping to catch Rosemarie to hear what she thinks because i found another (Schwantesia Ruedebuschii)that looks really close, too. thanks so much for your help.

MrBrownThumb said...

Sorry for the late reply, but I just wanted to ditto Julie up above.

The Succulent Dish said...

found it!!! it's a Schwantestia Borsherdsii! a mouthful, huh. it's related to the rhombophyllum and evidently only been recently reintroduced to us regular gatherers. it's a mesemb of sorts and needs esentially no water and full sun. i don't know if it's so intoxicating because of it's appearance or that so few people have one or both. this new obsession is so sensual--studying to see what each of my lovelies needs and being rewarded by their sighs happiness...

Julie said...

Well, congrats on finding your match!!! It sure is a cute little plant...I looked up several photos of this... sometimes I have wanted to pull my hair out trying to get a good I.D. It can be maddening because sometimes plants of one variety will look like some in others...there seems to be no rhyme or reason sometimes to how they get classified! I'm glad you found your baby's true name!

Anonymous said...

I made a really long comment weeks ago-I believe-but don't see it here-on this being a Rhombophyllum. I hope I didn't dream it!