Saturday, July 19, 2008

Creating Life


i finally did it. i took cuttings from my Aeonium Zwartkopf. it had five babies sticking out from the main stem and since the parent was not doing its best, i decided that if i didn't do it soon, the whole plant would be lost and i would have nothing of my beautiful specimen. it was a bit scary, actually. it was my first time cutting any of my babies. but i got an exacto and went to work carefully slicing each embryo with a single cut, holding my breath the whole time. truly a test of faith even when faced with the only other option of death. so they've been placed in a safe spot for drying and here we come to my challenge--what do i do with them next?? other items can be placed on top of dirt that's kept a bit moist and they will do what comes naturally, but what about these? i have yet to find anything in print with exact measurements for this particular plant. so far, i've placed them back in the dirt with it's mama, but do they need to be kept moist? should they be removed to their own pot for that so that i don't kill mama? help me out here...please.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Hi! I think until they get roots, yes I would water a couple of times a week, but make sure you have quick draining soil, or cactus soil. They will need that extra water until they get roots, then you can lay off to every 2 weeks watering...but play it by ear because I was watering mine every month, and found out it really needed water every 2 weeks. It has looked much better on this schedule. In Florida, I sort of keep everything on a 2 weeks to a month watering schedule. Seems to work here.

I love the little baby plantlets on this! Awesome to have the new beginnings! I still have my babies attached...I wish they would all grow up in a sort of tree-like fashion!! LOL. I can only hope!

The Succulent Dish said...

thanks, Julie. You Rock!

Aiyana said...

I wasn't sure if your question was about the eventual size of the Aeonium zwartkopf--but if that is the case, it will reach three to four feet tall if conditions are right.
Aiyana

Julie said...

You know, everytime I come and see these pics I want to eat them, they look succulently chocolate!!!

The Succulent Dish said...

Julie, you're a mess. hehehe but since you mention it, they are rather yummy-looking, aren't they? Aiyana, thanks so much for stopping by, it's so great to see you. by measurements i meant specific instructions for their propagation. thank you both again for checking in on me and my new and growing brood. i've got more stuff coming soon.