Wednesday, July 8, 2009

It's A Good Thing

Who loves Facebook. I do. I do. I think I'm getting the hang of it now. So many people are popping up that I haven't seen in I don't know when. Childhood friends that I haven't seen in 15 years. People who I forgot were completely drop dead hilariously funny. People whose jokes were so corny, you were green around the gills for the next hour. People who haven't changed a single bit. People who've change a lot. People that I remember fondly. People I have less than fond memories of. People that I purposely forgot about. People I had forgotten I'd forgotten about. People I hoped I would see again. People I never thought I would see again. People I'm ecstatic to see again. People I'm not so ecstatic to see again. People I was glad I would never see again.

Finding that so many people who are exactly as they were when we parted ways is so comforting. Good, bad or otherwise, a nostalgia surrounds me. Friends that I knew who were good, are really great now. Those who weren't so good, I remember, were young enough that they weren't all bad, either. House parties with friends and friends of friends and ex's and ex's-to-be. Guys I had crushes on who turned out to like the guy I was dating. Girls who were my besties who turned out wanted to date me. Everybody--who they were and who they turned out to be couldn't be any better if somebody paid them. I could not be any more giddy.

So, here's to all the people I've ever known, that I know now or that I have yet to know. Thank you for being who you are. There's no greater gift in this world to others or to yourself. And here's to Facebook for reuniting us all with our fondest memories. In the words of the former Martha Stewart, "It's a good thing."

No comments: